Quantcast

Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

On the review front this week, the good folks at Simon & Schuster Canada surprised me with a very nicely packaged copy of Bones Never Die by Kathy Reichs. Yes, that is a CSI style evidence bag in which it came packaged, complete with a chain of custody form on the back. Very nice touch.


This week's new digital review titles include Willful Child by Steven Erikson (which I have been anxiously awaiting) and SanClare Black by Jenna Waterford (which sounded too intriguing to pass up).


Two other interesting additions to the digital shelves that I've been remiss in mentioning are Imaginarium 2013: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing edited by Sandra Kasturi & Samantha Beiko and The Tattooed Witch by Susan J. MacGregor, which came in my Canadian Science Fiction & Fantasy Association's voting packet for the 2014 Aurora Awards.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon by David Barnett
The first Gideon Smith tale was a Victoriana / steampunk mash-up, an old-fashioned horror story, a penny dreadful romp, and an adventure worthy of Indiana Jones. Can't wait for the sequel!

Consumed: A Novel by David Cronenberg
Probably my most anticipated read of the Fall, I'm anxious to dig in and see if he can capture his screen magic on the page. Early reviews are mixed, but I like what I'm hearing.


What's topping your shelves this week?

12 comments:

  1. I really like the CSI evidence bag...that is a very cool presentation for a review book. Nice! Hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The evidence bag is clever.
    Dig the cover for Willful Child and definitely looking forward to Cronenberg's book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first Gideon Smith book, looking forward to some reviews of the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool that it came in the CSI evidence bag!! Enjoy your reads!

    Stormi
    http://www.booksmoviesreviewsohmy.com/the-week-in-review-2/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when publishers "dress" up their ARCs in creative ways. The Kathy Reichs book in the evidence bag is perfect, simply brilliant!

    I also snagged Willful Child earlier this week from NetGalley, I think I first learned about the book from you, actually :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute CSI bag. Things like that make getting books even more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the tweets about Reichs's new book. I haven't read the, but that is a damned clever way to market the books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Willful Child sounds great. I've not read any of Erikson's books yet although I have the first Malazan which I'm hoping to read before the end of the year. Hope you enjoy it! Here's my MM

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome packaging idea for Bones Never Die by Kathy Reichs! Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when publishers are creative about packaging their ARCs. It makes them stand out. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great mailbox. Love the packing for Bones Never Die. So clever! 2 Kids and Tired Books MM

    ReplyDelete