Quantcast

Saturday, June 25, 2016

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

In case you missed it, here's what happened in the Ruins this week . . .


Fantasy Review: The Shadowed Path by Gail Z. Martin

Necromancy Light and Dark guest post by Gail Z. Martin

Waiting On Wednesday: Jerusalem by Alan Moore

Horror Review: Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories edited by Doug Murano & D. Alexander Ward

On Creating a Heroine guest post by Dan Jolley


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Just 1 new review title this week, but since it's an October release, it doesn't really count against my summer scheme to clear out the review shelves.

A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson
Expected publication: October 25th 2016 by Tor.com

Long after the Towers left the world but before the dragons came to Daluça, the emperor brought his delegation of gods and diplomats to Olorum. As the royalty negotiates over trade routes and public services, the divinity seeks arcane assistance among the local gods.

Aqib bgm Sadiqi, fourth-cousin to the royal family and son of the Master of Beasts, has more mortal and pressing concerns. His heart has been captured for the first time by a handsome Daluçan soldier named Lucrio. in defiance of Saintly Canon, gossiping servants, and the furious disapproval of his father and brother, Aqib finds himself swept up in a whirlwind romance. But neither Aqib nor Lucrio know whether their love can survive all the hardships the world has to throw at them.


For Father's Day, my wife got me an Indigo gift card, so I made good use of that. Stephen King is always best enjoyed as a pocket paperback (the same way I discovered him long ago); The Dinosaur Lords I want to re-read and take the time to enjoy before picking up the next book; Max Gladstone is an author I've been meaning to read for a while now; and A Crown for Cold Silver is one of those books I wasn't in the right mood to review as an ARC, but which I want to enjoy in paperback.



Finally, I did pick up a pair of Kindle titles that I am sure you'll be seeing on a WTF Friday sometime soon.

 

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.


Berzerkoids by MP Johnson
I'm a little late in getting to this, but looking forward to stories "so shockingly, oozingly awesome, you just have to read ‘em all!"

Sherlock Holmes and the Servants of Hell by Paul Kane
Technically, this one is a bit deeper into the review queue, but I've waited long enough. I've been waiting for this for over a year, and it's time to see Holmes meet Hellraiser.


 

What's topping your shelves this week?

8 comments:

  1. The Dinosaur Lords... drools.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I despair of ever clearing my reading shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naked Battle Elves look hilarious. Enjoy your books! :)

    My STS: https://thebookbrief.wordpress.com/2016/06/25/stacking-the-shelves-june-25th/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to get my hands on The Dinosaur Lords! Maybe I should ask for it for my birthday... Enjoy the new books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Naked Battle Elves! Please do that one soon for a WTF Friday! :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naked Battle Elves! At least it's safe to assume it won't feature impractical armor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to use the same justification as you do about adding review books. I'm reading mostly things from my own stack this summer but that won't even lower TBR mountain by an inch. Come see what I read last week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Mercedes is on my TBR list. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete