Quantcast

Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

#IWSG - How do you find the time to write in your busy day?

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop aimed at sharing our doubts and concerns, while encouraging one another with assistance and guidance. As the lighthouse image suggests, it’s a beacon in the dark and a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

September's IWSG Question: How do you find the time to write in your busy day

That is probably my single biggest challenge, what with a job that often keeps me working late into the night, a wife who works shift work, and a 5 year-old who needs to be entertained. I used to think that if I couldn't get a few hours of uninterrupted writing time, then it wasn't worth even trying, but I've had to learn to fit writing in wherever I can.

I actually get a lot of brainstorming and first drafts done while hiking. I tend to let my mind wander along the trails, and then stop from time to time to scrawl in my notebook before setting off again. It's funny, because I find the inspiration stops dead if I try to hike with the notebook in hand, but so long as it's in my bag, and there's no pressure/expectation to be writing things down, entire scenes will play out for me.

As for final drafts, those are usually done in that twilight zone between my son going to be and my wife getting home from work.

2 comments:

  1. Hiking would be a great time to brainstorm. I do it when I am practicing my guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a good system going. Good luck on the writing.

    ReplyDelete