Quantcast

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

#IWSG - When do you know your story is ready?

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop aimed at sharing our doubts and concerns, while encouraging one another with assistance and guidance. As the lighthouse image suggests, it’s a beacon in the dark and a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

September's IWSG Question: When do you know your story is ready?

That's something I used to struggle with. A lot. Seriously. In my mind, a story was never done, never good enough, never ready to release into the wild. I would obsess over it until I drove myself crazy, leaving dozens of stories sitting on my hard drive, finished for all intents and purposes, but not ready.

And that's where my dark half, Foster Medina, comes in - the George Stark to my Thad Beaumont, if you will. I declare it finished, and he decides it's ready. That extra layer insulates me from my obsessive tinkering, liberates me from my uncertainties, and has allowed me to publish a trio of stories that would have otherwise remained in the hard drive.

In my mind, if readers like the stories, we can share the credit . . . and if they don't, he can shoulder the blame.

3 comments:

  1. lol, good to have that alter to shoulder the blame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're using the dark side of the force for good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately, I've written a few stories but ended up not subbing them because I wasn't happy with the end result. I felt it in my gut that they weren't ready. Finished but not ready.

    ReplyDelete