Quantcast

Thursday, January 12, 2017

#Adventure Review: Pirate by Clive Cussler & Robin Burcell

Every reader has their literary crack, that one author they turn to for reliably mindless entertainment. For my wife, it's James Patterson. For me, it's Clive Cussler. Yes, his books are formulaic and clich├ęd, devoid of any real tension, and rely far too much on coincidence. There's very little real science or archeology to them anymore, and the bevy of co-authors means the new characters lack the consistent depth of Dirk Pitt. Despite all that, the books are a ton of fun, and an easy read to breeze through in a couple of sittings.

Pirate is my first adventure with Sam and Remi Fargo since The Tombs (and my first with Robin Burcell as co-author), but it was precisely what I was craving. There's a missing royal treasure, a cypher wheel MacGuffin for decoding the hidden map, a couple of easily-looted shipwrecks, rich bad guys with guns, a visit to Oak Island, abandoned castles, and even some digging into the Robin Hood myth.

Everything happens at a breakneck pace, with an 800-year old mystery solved far too easily, and more eye-rolling at coincidences than I'm accustomed to, but it still provided the entertaining diversion I craved.

Hardcover, 387 pages
Published September 13th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

2 comments:

  1. My literary crack is Warhammer 40k. Used to be Star Wars but I promised myself I would never fall down that hole again when Disney took over; I knew it would bankrupt me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to get into Warhammer, but there's so many books it's daunting to know where to start.

      Delete