Quantcast

Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

#Fantasy Review: City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett

While I liked a lot about City of Miracles, I'm disappointed to say I didn't necessarily like the third book of The Divine Cities. It's imaginative and well-written, and bears all the hallmarks of Robert Jackson Bennett's other novels, but the more contemporary and civilized the series gets, the less compelling I find it.

Despite the magic, the swords, and the gods, this instalment is less epic fantasy and more action thriller. It's set in a city so advanced, it's almost recognizable as a contemporary second-world location, complete with highrise hotels. The technologies are far more advanced than in the first two books, right down to the public transit system that serves as a key set-piece for the action.

The other challenge for me here is that Sigrud is a bit cold/thin to be a lead protagonist. He made for a great silent sidekick in the first book, but he doesn't have the personality to drive a story on his own. That said, he fits the action hero mold very well, and would make for a far better cinematic protagonist, but here I found myself having a hard time really getting invested in his plight.

City of Miracles isn't a bad book, not by any means, it just wasn't the book I wanted following the five-star read that was City of Blades.

Kindle Edition, 464 pages
Expected publication: May 2nd 2017 by Broadway Books

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary ARC of this title from the publisher in exchange for review consideration. This does not in any way affect the honesty or sincerity of my review.

4 comments:

  1. I'm seeing a lot of reviews of this series on blogs. Love the covers for the series. I haven't really decided if the series would suit me. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am halfway through the book thus far. It really is action heavy. But I sure am flying through it and loving being back in this world. I am going to miss it and it will be all I can do not to just reread the series...again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to hear that. I really enjoyed the first two books and have this one waiting to be read/reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, a shame to hear this one dipped after the amazing showing fro the first two books. Still can't wait to read this though :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete